Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Chronicle: Adventure in Villehelm

Doctor Truss Wilven has no desk to work at. In fact, he's less of a doctor, and more of a patron to the village that he made his home. His village is surrounded by a wall of towering logs, side by side they loom over any and all who advance. Except for those who the doctor fears most, giants. This particular night, however, the doctor is spending stooped over four of the villages young ones.

"Daniel, please do tell what bit you. I've asked almost a dozen times now, and the sooner I get an answer, the sooner we fix this." He asked the older of the four children, his eyes already reddened from the lack of sleep gave him a hideous stare. One the child would not forgot.

"I told you! I didn't see it. Arie was the one who got bit, we didn't know where she was." Daniel, the oldest, replied. "We all found her by the cairn near Morrow Cliff. We tried to get a bandage on her, but she bleeding so much..."

Wilven looked disgusted, "Hush child. We will deal with this regardless. Although your story has changed sufficiently each hour, I believe the full truth may come out within the year. Unfortunately we don't have that time. Get to rest, I will figure something out, even if I have to go into the mushroom forest on my own."

Daniel looked at him, tears pouring out of his eyes, "Sorry, sir."

Wilven was almost out the door when he turned and looked at Daniel, "I know." His eyes were even more bloodshot now, as tears began to run down his own cheek. "Lannie will be here in a few minutes, tell her I'm on my way to Vinn's." And the door closed gently behind him.


Wilven walked sleepily down the hard packed roads of Villehelm. It was a fairly calm night, and he enjoyed smelling the fresh air after spending most of the night inhaling fumes from likely medicines. Vinn was already standing outside the tavern when Wilven arrived.

"Evenin' Vinn, any good news?" Wilven asked, nodding as he approached.

"That depends there Truss. Turns out a small pack of travelers turned up at about 6 bells. Look like a hardy bunch. Got a need?"

Wilven couldn't help but crack a smile at this news. It was well known that anyone who could travel from town to town in a small group was worth more than their weight in gold. He sat down beside the burly innkeeper and started packing a pipe. "A need Vinn? Yeah, you could say that. You let me know when they're awake, I'll be right here."

No comments:

Hill People