Sunday, August 3, 2008

Hill People

This weekend was spent mostly in the woods, and in the rain. It was my friend's bachelor party, and it's been a long time since I've been camping quite like that. The experience was fun, and tiring, and also inspiring. My previous attempts at designing a board game have been lost, so I am now coming up with a new concept and a brand new design.

The game board will be individual layouts for each player, and they will have different regional locales. There will be a forest, a plains, a plot of fertile land, and a village. Depending on my ambitions and practicality, this might also expand. Villagers will be assigned to different jobs on the board, and players will be able to draw resource cards and other things based on where they have their villages allocated. Not all resource cards are the actual resource though, some of them come with misfortunes, such as drought, or overhunting of the nearby wildlife. My goal here is to capture the problems of a semi-nomadic/early farming community.

Victory conditions are yet to be determined, but I already know the order of the turn phases. All conflicts get resolved before the allocation of villagers. A conflict is defined by any action that takes place outside of the village. This includes attacking, trading, and stealing from other players. This way, a player is able to allocate defenders in response to an attack, but if they don't have enough farmers and hunters to keep their defenders fed, then the defenders will be uneffective against the attacks, and villagers may die as a result. I'll be working on those types of balance once I actually get the game board laid out so I can easily visualize the flow of gameplay.

I think I'm going to call the game "Hill People".

-Lance(, maker) of the Hill People

No comments:

Hill People